Blueback Geology Toolbox
Speed up and expand your geomodeling workflows
The Blueback Toolbox suite of Petrel* plug-ins contains Petrel functionality features not available in standard Petrel. It has been developed by the Blueback Reservoir development team using the Petrel development framework called Ocean*. All functionality has been developed based on requests from Petrel users around the world and the development is coordinated with the Petrel software teams at Schlumberger.
The Geology Toolbox contains a large amount of small plug-ins filling functionality gaps in Petrel. The focus is to provide Petrel users with functionality features speeding up and improving the various geomodeling workflows. This also includes functionality for data QC and reservoir model analysis.
The tools include functionality within fault analysis, property modeling, data preparation, data analysis, and other processes within the geomodeling work flows in Petrel. The Geology Toolbox gives you a rich set of tools, and our frequent releases provide a steady increase of functionality based on feedback from Petrel users.
Is there specific missing features in Petrel that you would like to add? Get in touch with us to discuss how we can help you and your company to optimize your workflows and Petrel usage.
Rapid and effective QC of your 3D facies models through generation of facies proportion maps
Apply depth shifts to well logs
- Facies Proportion Maps. With a 3D facies model as input, you can produce proportion maps for each zone and facies type. The proportion maps are excellent QC tools of your 3D facies modeling, and for understanding the sensitivities across multiple facies realizations
- Fault Info. QC your fault model using a horizon and a fault plane. It outputs a point data set for the intersection with a set of attributes for dip, throw, azimuth, etc. The tool is a quick way to better understand how your fault model and horizons match up
- The Shift Well Log tool lets you quickly apply a depth shift to one or several logs. The tool is very handy to correct for wrong positioning due to data loading issues, and is also often used to fine tune positions to better match the modeling grid
- The Facies Distance tool creates a distance grid property representing the lateral distance from facies boundaries. The property can then be used as a conditioning property for subsequent modeling that are correlated with the distance from a facies type, for example decaying rock quality
- The Make Polygon Information tool creates point set attributes from polygon nodes. You can then easily create maps representing 2D distance, 3D distance, dip angle and azimuth between polygon point pairs. This can, for example, be used as depositional azimuth maps for use in facies modeling
- 3D Grid QC. This tool outputs a report and 3D properties with info on the 3D grid quality. It features a set of new geometrical modeling properties all tied into an easy to use interface, and is an important tool to have when building a simulation grid
- Assign Layer Values is a tool for copying a model layer to another layer, or a range of layers, or to a zone. In addition you can set a layer value from an existing cell or select a constant value. All operations can also be limited by a segment. The tool improves the flexibility and speeds up the work with 3D property models
- Set Up scaled tool. Resets the up scaled cell ID from well log up scaling. During data transfers to other packages, the ID for these cells [u] is often lost. This is causing problems when you want to compare these cells with normal cells, for example in a cross plot
- Snap well tops to log sample. Change the position of a set of well tops to match the sampling interval for the log data. This tool addresses a common problem with discrepancies between the thickness calculations from the petrophysicist, and the thicknesses calculated in Petrel*. This can cause “leakage” between cells, and gives wrong input values for 3D modeling
- Up scaled Log QC. Compare the up scaled property logs (N/G, Sw, Perm) in the 3D model with the original log data. This tool is an important check that your up scaling of the log data has produced the correct values for the up-scaled cells. Discrepancies can also result from a too large 3D grid cell resolution
- Interactive well picking. Quickly create vertical wells in the 3D/2D windows in Petrel by clicking at the desired point. The tool lets you quickly create well trajectories, and is particularly useful when you need to produce multiple well trajectories or well patterns
- Extract a seismic trace along a well bore
- Policy Administration Tool. Prepare a global policy file that controls which features of the Toolbox that can be accessed by the end user
*Marks of Schlumberger